Digital Media Associate
Full-time, exempt position. On occasion, the position may require
evening and weekend work.
This position may be fully remote.
About this Position
PEER is seeking a Digital Media Associate to implement marketing strategies and execute content across Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility’s (PEER) digital channels. These include social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram), email, and www.peer.org web pages. They will also care about belonging and contributing to a work community that values diversity, deep respect for others, learning, building trust and working collaboratively with our colleagues, partners, and supporter community.
The Digital Media Associate will advance PEER’s environmental and good governance goals by reaching targeted audiences with key messages about our work. They will help create, implement, manage, and measure content and campaigns on multiple social media platforms (currently Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, X, and YouTube). They will be responsible for building and updating website content and working with staff to craft site promotions, email newsletters, digital invitations, and online outreach campaigns.
They will work closely with their team and key stakeholders to set goals for digital engagement and develop content that 1) aligns with our organizational priorities and values, 2) matches our brand voice and tone, and 3) helps establish our position as an expert on key issues (e.g., conservation, public lands, toxic chemicals, wildlife protection, civil service laws that protect employee rights, scientific integrity, and government transparency). They will help advance our social media strategy by bringing new knowledge and thinking to our existing platforms and helping us establish baselines and goals for new platforms. They will also support integrated digital advocacy campaigns and work with team members to expand the visibility of PEER’s work and impact. Furthermore, the Associate will develop and post new content on behalf of leaders and develop recommendations for best practices on key platforms (e.g., LinkedIn). They will help manage the online communities on these platforms, engaging with commenters and other handles as necessary to build our audience size and influence conversations relevant to our work. They will use software systems to track, analyze and report web metrics and social media trends, and they will make strategic recommendations based on those metrics and trends.
This position reports directly to the Director of Development and Communications, works closely with the Executive Director and other staff, and requires considerable digital interaction with the general public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and execute an editorial calendar for multiple social media accounts on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and X.
- Collaborate with staff across job functions and geographies to ensure our social media presence aligns with our organizational priorities and values.
- Set goals, track, and report on metrics and trends relevant to our social media accounts and web pages.
- Make recommendations for how to iterate our social media approach to best reach our target audiences and advance our goals.
Website Content Updates
- Oversee a process of regular web site updates and work with the web firm manager to address any issues.
- Produce compelling digital content for the website that drives engagement.
- Operate within a budget to complete assigned projects or work.
- Work with vendors/other parties to execute projects/deliverables.
- Organize and gather documents for press releases.
- Work with staff to edit and finalize press release drafts.
- Send out press releases as requested through Meltwater (press management system).
Other Occasional Responsibilities
- Provide occasional event support as needed.
- Support the Director of Development and Communications as requested.
The ideal candidate will have all or some of these qualifications. If you don’t have all of them, apply anyway and in your cover letter highlight your applied skills and experience:
- Self-starter who is eager to learn about PEER’s work and mission.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2+ years of relevant experience. A combination of related education, training, and experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization a plus but not required.
- Experience working independently and with remote teams.
- Proven ability to work with and collaborate with others. Is excited to work with collaboration tools to maximize efficiency.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Experience creating and posting social media content on behalf of an organization/company.
- Experience managing multiple social media accounts.
- Knowledge about marketing to diverse audiences.
- Experience producing web pages and e-mail newsletters.
- Knowledge of best practices for social media metrics reporting.
- Ability to learn social media scheduling software.
- Knowledge of design software (e.g., Canva, Adobe, InDesign) as well as photo and video editing software (e.g., Adobe CS).
- Experience with web production.
- Enthusiasm for developing knowledge of social media trends and evolving platforms.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Practical knowledge of marketing and project management principles.
- Experience with science or environmental communications a plus.
- Proven writing skills. You are comfortable developing content for social media and other digital outlets.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with CRM or other database a plus
This is a full-time exempt position with full benefits and a salary range of $45,000-55,000 annually depending on experience.
Submit a Cover Letter, Resume, and 1-3 examples of social media assets and/or a portfolio as a PDF document and type “Digital Media Associate_Last Name” in the subject line. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
PEER is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.