State Public Records Law
Iowa Code, Chapter 22 (2023)
Read the full text
Exemptions to Disclosure
The following records are confidential:
- Trade secrets;
- Work product;
- Records containing information from persons outside of government, if disclosure could discourage persons from providing the information not required by law;
- Information concerning the nature and location of any archaeological resource or site if, in the opinion of the state archaeologist, disclosure of the information will result in unreasonable risk of damage to or loss of the resource or site where the resource is located;
- Information concerning the nature and location of any ecologically sensitive resource or site if, in the opinion of the director of the department of natural resources after consultation with the state ecologist, disclosure of the information will result in unreasonable risk of damage to or loss of the resource or site where the resource is located.
- Every person
- Customary office hours; if less than 30 hours per week, can inspect, etc. at any time from 9AM-12PM and 1PM-4PM Monday-Friday excluding legal holidays, unless custodian and requestor agree on a different time
- Fee structure available
Destruction of Public Records
- Records are the property of the state and shall not be mutilated, destroyed, removed, or disposed of, except as provided by law, rule, or policy. Iowa Code Chapter 305.
State Whistleblower Score
Rank: 29/51 States & DC
Iowa has an average state whistleblower law with fair coverage (21 out of 33 possible points) and a fair degree of usability (18 out of 33) and remedies (16 out of 33), plus 1 bonus point for employee notice of whistleblower rights.
Tim Mason: Uncovering Mass Desecration at Effigy Mounds
Tim led PEER to uncover the biggest official mass desecrations of Indian pre-historic burial sites in U.S. history.
Park Service Pours Bucket of Mush on Effigy Mounds Scandal
Final Report on Desecration of Sacred Indian Sites Offers No Reforms or Remedies
Prairie Pothole Wetlands Imperiled by Their Protectors
Four-State Evaluations Decry Faulty Wetland Calls, Mapping, Reviews and Training
Park Service Circles Wagons on Indian Burial Mounds Debacle
No Officials Punished in 10-Year Building Spree Defacing Effigy Mounds Monument
NEW STUDY FINDS UPPER MISSISSIPPI LOCK EXTENSIONS UNJUSTIFIED
No Real Benefits to Local Agriculture